See also article “Hill Street Church” in TasmanianLife Magazine, December 2009/January 2010 edition.
Mercury 18 June 1923, p.
CHURCH OF CHRIST.
NEW BUILDING AT WEST HOBART.
The new brick church building of the Church of Christ in West Hobart was opened yesterday in Hill Street, between Pine and Warwick Streets. For nearly three years the congregation worked energetically to make the building possible and the place now stands as a monument of their faith and devotion. Three years had elapsed on June 6 since Evangelist W. H. Nightingale, of the Collins Street Church of Christ, commenced a Bible school and gospel services in the Lansdowne Crescent Institute. In August of the same year he organised a church there, with about 23 members all from the parent city church. The congregation commenced to grow and it was decided to purchase a block of land in Hill Street. When the ground had been paid for a band of about thirty men from the city and suburban churches gave their Saturday afternoons up to the work of the excavating and putting in the concrete foundations.
Mr. A. J. Doran was architect. Mr. W. Woolley erected the brick building, porches and vestries and Messrs H. and J. C. Woolley did the carpentry and joinery work. It is plastered above the hardwood dado, well lighted with electricity and well ventilated. Special attention has been given to the acoustic properties of the place. It will seat comfortably about 250 people. The cost for land, building and furniture is approximately £1,500.
A large number of people assembled at the opening service yesterday morning, when Mr. Geo Smith, foundation member of the Churches of Christ in Hobart, presided. Mr. A. B. Heard, State Conference president, delivered the inaugural address. In the evening Mr. W. H. Nightingale commenced a fortnight’s mission, in which he will be assisted by Mr. J. Warren as leader of song.
WEST HOBART HCC HERITAGE REVIEW
Name: Contrast Photography (formerly Church of Christ, Ukrainian Orthodox Church) Reference: S24
93A Hill Street West Hobart Hobart
Original Use: Place of worship/Meeting Place Feature Type: Church Hall
Present Use: Private residence, was Photo Studio
Architectural Style: Inter War
Integrity: The building is externally predominantly intact, however the onion dome with crucifix was probably added in 1971.
Walls: Brick Attic: Basement
The building is adjacent to a cohesive and important group of detached cottages, and is also an important individual element along Hill Street.
History: The church was built in c 1924, and was known as the Church of Christ. It continued to be known as the Church of Christ at least until the late 1940s. It later became a Ukrainian Orthodox Church, named St Volodymyr and was consecrated by Archbishop Andrew of Edmonton, Canada, on 28 November 1971. The church has since been de-consecrated, and is currently occupied by ‘Contrast Photography’
A single storey brick Inter War church/hall. It has a low pitched gabled roof of corrugated iron, and a gabled roof porch which face the street. There is stucco infill to the gables with battening and timber brackets. An onion dome adorned with an ornate crucifix adorns the gabled roof. Two pointed arch three-paned windows (with two coloured panels in each) are located at either side of the front entry.
93A Hill Street is of historic heritage significance because of its ability to demonstrate the principal characteristics of a single storey brick Inter War hall/church.
(e)-Creative / Technical:
93A Hill Street is historic heritage significance because it has the potential to yield information on the history of recreation and religious worship in West Hobart
This site is of historic heritage significance because its townscape associations are regarded as important to the community’s sense of place.
Roof: Corrugated Iron
CRITERIA FOR ENTRY IN REGISTER (Refer to Section 16 of the HCH Act for the expanded criteria.)