In 1866, perceiving a great need in the fledgling colony for spiritual guidance, Bishop Daniel Murphy arranged for the Mother Superior of the Presentation Order (who happened to be his own sister), to travel from Ireland to bring Nano Nagle’s mission to far-off Hobart Town.
On 3rd February 1868, the little school of Mount St Mary ’s (as we were then known) received its first pupils. The fine sandstone convent was designed “to sit astride a grassy rise” by the convict architect Henry Hunter.
The College was dedicated to Mary, Mother of Divine Providence. The importance that we still attach to this dedication is reflected in the words on the College badge, Mary Our Mother.
A respected and flourishing educational institution, St Mary’s College has nurtured the spiritual, cultural, academic and sporting lives of many thousands of students in three different centuries.